Mactac, a Stow, Ohio-based manufacturer of pressure sensitive films, is celebrating its milestone 60th anniversary this year.
Founded in 1959, Mactac’s products are used in a wide range of markets and industries across the globe, such as graphic design, digital imaging, retail display, fleet graphics, automotive assembly, label printing, packaging, medical device assembly, assembly engineering and more.
Since the company’s founding, it has expanded significantly throughout North America and internationally. Its growth in numerous global markets has accelerated since its purchase by Japan-based LINTEC Corp. in 2016, and is continuously expanding its product lines. In the past year, the company says, Mactac introduced nearly 15 new LINTEC high-performance durable goods and industrial labeling solutions.
A selection of some of Mactac’s historic highlights the company provided include:
- 1975 – Mactac and Kodak develop the first pressure-sensitive image protection film.
- 1980 – Mactac and Gerber Scientific develop the first computer-aided signage vinyl.
- 1989 – Mactac is the first pressure-sensitive supplier to offer recycled facestocks as part of the STARLINER product line.
- 2003 – Mactac becomes a primary supplier to the USPS for self-adhesive stamps.
- 2005 – Mactac invents B-free (bubble-free) air-egress adhesive technology.
- 2007 – Mactac partners with Portraits of Hope for the Gardens in Transit project wrapping thousands of New York City taxi cabs in Mactac’s IMAGin B-free product.
- 2010 – Mactac introduces high-performance adhesives and durable films for a total product offering that addresses the most demanding labeling applications.
- 2013 - Mactac launches Mactac wallCHALKER, an innovative removable chalkboard vinyl.
- 2014 – Mactac’s IMAGin DecoFresco and DecoMural changes the industry by introducing adhesive-backed wallpaper textured vinyl.
- 2016 - Mactac becomes part of the LINTEC Corporation.
“I’m extremely proud of all Mactac has accomplished throughout the past 60 years,” says Ed LaForge, president of Mactac. “Our leadership team has always believed in doing whatever it takes to be a reliable partner for our customers, community, and employees and that’s a mentality that will endure throughout the next 60 years. As we look to the bright future with LINTEC, we will continue to grow, produce and create innovative products using the best technology and resources available to meet the growing needs of the global pressure-sensitive adhesive industry.”